I ended up staying in the hospital less than 24 hours after my son was born, even though he was delivered via c-section. I think when your baby dies they pretty much let you do what you want, and since I wanted to go home and be with my family they let me go. The fact that I didn't have a baby to care for probably contributed to the early discharge.
That lonely walk down the hall as we left the labour and delivery floor will always be fresh in my mind. My husband and I walked together holding each other hand in hand ...instead of holding our son. That entire long and lonely walk I held my head down and stared at the floor. I didn't want to catch a glimpse of any of the new mothers and their little babies. I could hear a couple babies crying and tried to drown that sound out with other thoughts racing through my head. One of those thoughts was of how guilty and ashamed I felt walking down that hall with empty arms. Here we were going home to be with our family, but we were leaving part of our family behind, our son. To leave that hospital without our baby, the one we had dreamed about having, the one we were supposed to take care of and protect, was so incredibly painful.







((HUGS)) I pray for your comfort and I pray for God to give us the answers. No one should have to live the path you are walking. I am so sorry.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that you know my pain. I remember walking out of childrens hospital after Nate died and thinking that every single person that I walked past knew that my son died. It was weird that I thought of that but I felt like a freak of some sort.
ReplyDeleteAfter I delivered, I moved into the Ronald McDonald house and stayed at the hospital for 25 days. I never went home after I delivered him. I told him that I wasn't going home until he did. I wish that I could have kept my promise. I wish that I could have brought him home.
Hugs!
Trisha
What a difficult walk to make. Such a hard journey you are all making. The tears I shed along with you are only a fraction of what you feel.
ReplyDeleteDid the hospital offer the help of a psychologist? Someone to share your pain with?
I am passing on the Honest Scrap blogging Award to you... I can really relate with everything you write and thank you for sharing your incredible story. Please come see my blog for details.
ReplyDeleteBoy do I know that walk. It was the hardest and longest walk of my life. Walking away from our son. Im so sorry you had to do the same with Blake. I wish that I could give you a hug. I hate that were on this journey together and know each others pain.
ReplyDeleteHi Michelle,
ReplyDeleteI just started reading your story. I am so sorry for the loss of your precious, Blake. It is all so very heartbreaking.
Sending you strength.